Dreaming About A Big Adventure?
(Please note the sail training scheme is now closed to new applicants for 2016. We have had a fantastic response and look forward to welcoming a lot of new faces aboard the barges this year)
The Thames Sailing Barge Trust is looking for passionate, highly-motivated individuals who want to become mate or skipper of a traditional Thames Sailing Barge.
No previous sailing experience required
In a new scheme, offered for the first time in 2016, the Trust are recruiting around ten new volunteer third hands to train as barge crew.
This is an amazing opportunity for anyone wishing to get afloat and develop their personal skills.
It is completely free and often includes accommodation and meals.
What we are offering:
- Around 20 sailing days free of charge per year
- A personal development plan, customised to your availability, previous sailing experience, (if any) and ambitions
- A personal mentor to assist in your development
- Training in a complete range of traditional seafaring skills, including ropework, gear and rigging, sail setting and trim, rules of the road, navigation, meteorology, small boat work, maintenance, leadership skills and much more.
- Access to Thames Barges sailing in Essex, Kent, Suffolk and London
In volunteering, you will not only be helping to preserve Thames Sailing Barges themselves but also the skills and knowledge required to sail and maintain them. Hopefully you will in turn be able to pass these skills on to future generations.
You will get the chance to meet lots of interesting people from different backgrounds as you enjoy the wonders of Thames Barge sailing.
- Reliable and flexible (hours depend on tide and weather etc)
- Reasonably fit
- Passionate about learning to sail a Thames Sailing Barge
- Sociable with good communication skills
- Willing to learn and apply yourself
Find Out More:
If you’re interested in finding out more, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, contact details and a few words explaining why you would like to be considered for this opportunity.
We look forward to hearing from you.