Are you looking for the adventure of a lifetime?
(Please note the Thames Barge sail training scheme is now closed to new applicants for 2017. We have had a fantastic response this year and look forward to welcoming more new faces aboard the barges this year. We now have a total of 19 trainees.)
The Thames Sailing Barge Trust is seeking passionate, highly-motivated individuals who want to become mate or skipper of a traditional Thames Sailing Barge.
No previous sailing experience required
Following the success of the first year (2016) of our sail training scheme, the Trust are looking to recruit a further ten trainees to help secure the future of the Thames Sailing Barge fleet.
This is possibly the most comprehensive, free sail training opportunity in the world.
We will guide you through 700 enabling objectives, which will help you reach the required standard to qualify as a bargemaster. These include full knowledge of all barge sailing, navigation and maintenance tasks.
It usually takes around 7 to 10 years to train to be a fully qualified barge skipper. This is a serious commitment that will require you to dedicate at least one weekend a month to the scheme, possibly for the next decade.
This is an amazing opportunity to get afloat and discover a lifetime of adventure under sail.
What we are offering:
- Around 20 sailing days free of charge per year
- A personal development plan, customised to your availability, previous sailing experience, if any, and ambitions
- A personal mentor to assist in your development
- Training in a complete range of traditional seafaring skills, including ropework, gear and rigging, sail setting and trim, rules of the road, navigation, meteorology, small boat work, maintenance, leadership skills and much more
- Access to over 20 Thames Sailing Barges in Essex, Kent, Suffolk, London and beyond
In volunteering, you will not only be helping to preserve Thames Sailing Barges themselves but also the skills and knowledge required to sail and maintain them. Hopefully you will in turn be able to pass these skills on to future generations.
You will get the chance to meet lots of interesting people from different backgrounds along the way as you enjoy the wonders of Thames Barge sailing.
- Reliable and flexible (hours depend on tide and weather etc)
- Reasonably fit and strong
- Passionate about learning how to sail a Thames Sailing Barge
- Sociable, with good communication skills
- Willing to learn and apply yourself
Find Out More:
If you’re interested in finding out more, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, contact details and a few words explaining why you would like to be considered for this opportunity.
We look forward to hearing from you.