Members are the strength and backbone of the Trust.
Your support will help to secure the future of two rare and vitally important examples of Britain’s maritime heritage – the Thames sailing barges, Centaur and Pudge.
- Members will receive our colour newsletter, Golden Chaffcutter, which is packed full of news and interesting articles about our work in preserving Centaur and Pudge. It also provides details of upcoming events as well as general articles of interest about Thames barges. This is published every two months.
- There are opportunities to volunteer to help with the maintenance of the barges and if you’re interested, you could train to become a mate or third-hand. There’s also a Volunteer Reward Scheme which gives volunteers credits towards future sails on Centaur or Pudge.
- The Trust hosts a variety of events throughout the year, including social gatherings, talks and film shows, giving you plenty of opportunities to meet people with similar interests in Thames sailing barges and maritime history.
- Members can opt to help on Open Days and exhibitions held during the warmer months, which most volunteers say is a really rewarding experience.
- But most importantly, you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you are directly contributing to the preservation of two shining examples of our national maritime history, and the passing on of the skills and techniques needed to maintain and sail both barges.